I hate May.
How is that for an opening remark? I really don’t think any month tears me up more than May. I have lost several close relatives in the month of May, the weather is so unpredictable, allergies are brutal and… oh, let’s not forget the best of the best… my birthday is in May. Getting another year older always puts a smile on my face….NOT! I hate getting old and will fight ANY signs of it as much as possible–mind, body & soul. Which is probably why most of my fab finds this month will help me stay 29…again!
So what are my new favorite makeup and skin care items I found this month? Read on and find out:
1. Lancôme Visionnaire – A few of the tell-tale signs of your real age is what begins happening to the skin on your face and neck. Fine lines appear, pores look larger, face takes on an uneven skin tone. Everything that screams old. Since cosmetic procedures are not an option to me (don’t know if I would even if I could), I always read about the latest products to fight the signs of aging. My friend Lisa who is a manager at the local Macy’s said I HAD to try this product for a couple of weeks and gave me a few samples of the Visionnaire serum. My current night cream was getting low so I thought it would be a good time to try it out. I had been using a night gel so this Lancôme Serum felt really nice to put on. It absorbed quickly with no tight or sticky feeling. I already notice my skin tone is evening out, and my pores and fine lines seem less noticeable. Boo-Yah! Just what I am looking for. The only down side it’s pretty expensive, but a little goes a long way and I believe the bottle I got will last at least six months to a year. That’s a good investment in younger looking skin. I top it with my favorite moisturizing night cream and let nature do the rest! ($89 [1oz], Macy’s stores & online)
2. L’Oreal RevitaLift® Miracle Blur – Okay, true story: I was asked to be a product tester for this product early in the month. I read all the info, used it as directed, but I personally didn’t think I saw the results I was supposed to get, so I tossed it aside after a week. Blur is not a moisturizer, Blur is not a foundation, and it is supposed to do more than just a primer does. But it just didn’t seem to give me what i wanted. Then, like only NY can do, the weather did a complete 180, turning not just warmer but flat out HOT! I realized I needed something to keep away the makeup melt-aways and nasty shine. A product that did that PLUS help me with a broad spectrum SPF would be really great. Hmmmm. Funny–those are things that the new product Blur promised. Okay, lets try this again. Now, the directions say you should apply Blur after your moisturizer and before your foundation. When I did that, I didn’t really get the look I wanted. But when I used a little less and applied it OVER my foundation, I got the look I loved with lasting results I wanted. Sometimes I even blend a bit of my mineral foundation into it in the palm of my hand with the Blur which gives me a nice, all-day matte look. Sometimes things just need another chance and a little adjusting. We hope our serums will work fast, but if they don’t do the job 100%, this will hide that little percentage it missed! ($24.99, most drug stores)
3. Yes to Grapefruit Brightening Facial Towelettes – Obviously I have an OCD issue with the evenness and tone of my skin. I don’t want blotchy-ness and I don’t want scars from my teen years. If I could get my skin to brighten and even-out where I would need minimal to no foundation, I’d be thrilled. These towelettes take off all my makeup with a gentle textured no-rinse wipe. I was worried my sensitive skin might find it contained a bit too much acid from the grapefruit, but my skin tolerated the wipes just fine. I do feel some tingling after using them, but nothing that irritates or breaks out my face, more like a clean feeling. Oh and I love the scent! These are awesome for those “I’m too tired to take my face off” nights. Just leave a pack in the bed stand for just that! Congrats to Yes To for another fabulous line of products!!($5.99, most retail stores)
4. Jimmy Choo’s “Flash” Parfum – Okay, so a new scent may not make you look younger, but it can definitely make you feel younger. And isn’t that what counts? This second fragrance from shoe expert, Jimmy Choo, has a pop to it that just takes the wearer’s charisma to a whole new level. The perfume caught my attention on a scratch & sniff page in one of my favorite magazines. (“Samples sell!!”) I INSTANTLY fell in love with it and the search was on. I was able to snag a mini bottle on EBay till I could get a regular sized bottle. This is truly one of those WOW! scents. Notes of pink pepper, strawberry and tangerine open you senses to a rush of power, allure and sexiness that you can even see within the person wearing it. It is very new, so watch for it. I think you hear more about it in the months to follow. ($55.00 [1.3 oz], Nordstrom’s and Nordstrom’s online)
5. benefit’s They’re Real! Mascara – I am embarrassed to say how many mascaras I have featured on my blog as the greatest, best, advanced, favorite new product I’ve ever tried. Especially since I’m going to do it again. Ok, Sassinistas…. what do I always say about samples? (Look above, silly!). The sample of this mascara was actually the birthday gift to Sephora Insiders, so I picked mine up when I stopped in the store a few weeks ago. Okay, nice, a cute mascara, I’ll try it someday. Well, that day came while my husband was out of town recently and I had nothing to do with my free time except try makeup looks out of my glam mags. I grabbed a few of my fave products from the bathroom including “little” items that were easy to carry. I grabbed this mascara since the mini tube was easy to handle. I knew as soon as I put the mascara on a few of my lashes that is was really different. The “brush” coated each lash more like a comb, separating and plumping each lash. Seriously, they chose a great name for the product because it makes your lashes so lush, they almost look fake. As full as they were, removal wasn’t that difficult at bedtime either. I cringe to think about adding another mascara to my beauty drawer, but dang! I have GOT to get this one!! ($23.00, Sephora stores and online)
And there we have it! It may not be my favorite month of the year but trying new products kept my mind and writing hand busy. Phew, no doubt…. May was BUSY!! Soon, I’ll be talking about hot summer items that you’ll want to have on hand (and feet), so keep reading to learn about “summer must have’s” in your closet, beach bag, makeup drawer and on your bathroom counter. Is there anything YOU want to know about: Hot nail colors? Must-have hair products? Stylish shorts? Summer accessories? Skin tamers? Ask me! I’d love to do a blog post where I can help my readers with their fashion & glamour questions. Don’t wait… send them in!!!!