After reading my latest issue of Lucky Magazine, I discovered a cute little section that said, “Bold But Simple: My Summer Wish List”. This got me to thinking exactly what do I need to put on my summer wish list this year? Anyone who knows me knows that my makeup drawer is stocked, my skin care shelf is overflowing, and my closet is beyond jammed. Seriously…What could I possibly need for this new season? I decided to look at what I had, what doesn’t fit me anymore, what is out of style, what is beyond repair, and then I’d go from there.
After much picking and sorting, there were a few things I realized that I did need for the summer season. There wasn’t a lot, but there were some items that I thought were necessary. I have to say I’m pretty basic when it comes to my seasonal purchases. They usually don’t follow the current trend, and I can extend them out a few years no matter what the current style is. It’s easier to keep my wardrobe updated with trendy, inexpensive accessories then it is to buy a large expensive purchase that may only be a fad for one season.
With that being said, here are a few things that I think need to be incorporated into my wardrobe for this summer. Some may only be here for the season but others have the potential to stick around for a a while. And that’s never a bad thing. So what did I find? Take a look:
1. Tribal Maxi Skirt: In my line of work (tattoo shop manager), it is always best for me to be casual and comfortable. But there are days that I would still like to look pretty without me looking like a hooch and without me looking like a corporate suit. It’s sometimes a difficult task. This season’s maxi-skirt allows me to look feminine and still be comfortable. I love this skirt from dELiA’s. The print is edgy but the material is free-flowing and comfortable. And the slip up beside gives it just the right amount of sex-itude! A perfect addition when you want to show a little leg!! dELiA’s stores and delilas.com, $29.90
2. Shellys London ‘Valvori’ Sandal: We often think of sandals as the flat little strappy shoes that lack a lot of pizzazz. They’re great a super casual situation, but really can’t be dressed up too much. These sandals change all that. They have a nice chunky heel that is not too high, a lot of edgy buckle design that you don’t see often in sandals, and a whole lot of comfort. These can be worn casual with jeans, or dressed up with skirts. Although they are a little extensive in design, I have the feeling these will be able to be worn for several years to come. A solid investment! nordstrom.com, $93.76
3. Material Girl Juniors’ Short-Sleeve Textured Cropped Top: There is nothing wrong with showing a little skin in the warmer months, and the best way to do it is with a sophisticated top. This breezy tee is the perfect addition for anything casual or classy. Give your outfit a little attitude with this simple addition. Everyone has tees but a solid cropped airy top should not be shunned this season. macys.com, $14.99
4. Nicole Miller Trinity Round Sunglasses: The fact is, no matter what the current style of sunglasses are this year, I’m going to need a new pair. Not because I like to keep up with current trends, but usually because I have misplaced or broke my pair from last year. I used to but super-super cheap ones at your local department store till someone said to invest a little money into them because you will take better care of them. That worked! I paid a decent amount for a pair of Nine West sunglasses years back which got me two whole years. That was until I put them in a pocket of a jacket and sat on them in the car. I was crushed. Even now I invest a little bit but not as much. I like this style and size simply because it has a bit of flare without making me look like a fly. Awesome–nailed it! tjmaxx.com, $39.99
5. Corinne Straw Tote: I will admit, I’m slightly afraid of bright colors. With my hair doing most of the speaking when it comes to bold hues, I have to say my closet looks like a black and white comic strip. Getting my job at the tattoo shop was the best thing to happen to my dark, borderline goth wardrobe. This season, however, I feel I need something other than my blood red locks to draw some attention my way. This glamorous purse has the look of a straw tote with all the pizzazz of a glitzy, fashion-forward bag. Casual look with metallic accents will make you look like a star! bebe.com, $98.00
There. My wish list for summer. I’ve already began adding these little gems to my ensemble one by one, so it won’t be long and you and I will be able to rock the summer in style. Add some pieces to keep you cool and comfortable, add to your rocking edginess, and still allow you to be feminine as heck! Summer doesn’t have to be just cut-offs and flip flops. It can and will be HOT… in a fashion sense that is.