Yup, it’s been forever since I’ve been on my blog. I’m such a slug lately. Oh I have a ton of reasons (err….excuses) on what’s kept me away, all of which seem legit. Living in Upstate NY, I can easily say I’ve been trying not too freeze to death, I can’t type with gloves on inside, I shiver so much my spell check gave up on me. I honestly have been fighting the flu for 2 weeks now. Not a cold with the sniffles-flu. The full-blown 102 fever, body aches, hacking cough, runny nose flu. The kind that only responds to one medicine, and it costs $125. With how horrible I felt?…I would have sold my car for the right medicine, I was so sick. I’m finally back on my feet, just in time to deal with another week of below zero windchills. Not to be a stick in the mud, but the this weather SUCKS and I’m sick of it. I won’t complain too much though because I would never leave. I love the other three seasons too much.
So, while I was battling the flu, I bundled up and tried to find things to do. In bed. Without moving. Other than sipping tea and watching endless daytime repeats of Law and Order: SVU it was hard to find things to keep me occupied. Shopping on EBay is always a good time killer, but it can get expensive. I think I even read magazines older than my cat. What other things did I find to humor me, keep busy but still rest? Here are a select few:
1. LA Girl Luxury Creme Lip Color in Romance–Thanks to the social media Pinterest (which in all reality is just online hounding) I found an epic lipstick that someone had posted. This color was WAY out of my comfort zone. It was a dark, creamy shade without a frost or high gloss finish. I have never seen this brand in any of my local stores, so I took a chance and ordered a new one from Ebay. It came fine without any problems. And the color? AWESOME!! Definitely looks bold against my pale skin and goes great with my auburn hair. The color went on in the same shade as the picture and I was thrilled. Not necessarily and everyday color, but definitely a color for a special event or night on the town! eBay, from $4.75
2. Style & Co. Stripe Lace Pointelle Tunic— After being stuck in bed for five days hearing the wind howl outside my window, I realized I’d never leave the house unless I knew I had a few extra sweaters to keep me warm. This one sweater really caught my eye. It was long and flowy which I like. It did have a loose knit pattern to it, but with a long or short tee under it, it would be toasty warm. Then, come spring, it could be worn alone or with just a cami for a lighter feel. This sweater was also a big deal because it had dark blue stripes. I NEVER wear blue! I don’t think it looks good on me, but with the white against it, it actually looks nice. A great investment piece on clearance! Macy’s, $38.99 (discount coupon codes available)
3. Sally Hansen’s Miracle Gel Polish in “Too Haute”–Nothing can lift a mood like a new manicure with a jazzy color. Where I work, it’s easy to blow a new mani in 2-3 days with all the picking, scraping, bumping and cleaning I do with my nails. I don’t want to weaken my nails with a salon gel color so I want the longest lasting nail polish I can get with a good formula, a brush & a topcoat. I have used the Miracle Gel Polish before and although it still chips after a while, I probably get twice as long with my manicures using this formula than any other. And the Too Haute color? A bright, bold raspberry purple that can’t be overlooked! CVS, $9.99
4. Jamberry Nails in Leopard–Sometimes your datebook doesn’t even allow you to do your nails nice twice a week. Because time is of the essence and healthy nails are a must, some people are stepping away from salon gel colors and doing funky manicures at home. “Jamicures” are a big deal right now. They are kind of like a stick-on adhesive manicure, but I find that they stay on much longer than regular stick ons. I think this has to do with the fact you need to warm them a bit to make them stick better. Stuck in bed, I found it easy to have a good pair of cuticle scissors, a tea light candle, and a pair of tweezers. With clean nails, free from lingering polish, lotion or lint, I take the size I need and hold it with my tweezers. I hold the Jamberry nail cover about 4″ above the tea light’s flame. When the Jam begins to “curl” slightly from the heat, I press it on to the bare nail and hold. When it cools and is stuck on, I trim it around my own nail so it looks even and pretty. When a busy week is ahead of me where doing a manicure 2-3 times is too time consuming, a Jamicure is a great solution to having jazzy nails with stay-power! Jamberry designs are often purchased through home parties or independent consultants. I get mine from my fave Jam Family member Jessica. www.facebook.com/jamcapades, $15 for 4+ full manicures
5. ForGoodnessGrape Lip Balm in Chocolate Ice Cream Soda–Fact: when you are sick, you blow your nose about every 10 minutes, coughing in between. You try to drink frequently to stay hydrated. That does help on the inside but the fact remains that your lips will feel like potato chips by about day two. I’ve always been a big fan of FGG lip balms, scrubs & tints. But when the body is calling in sick, I call in the big guns to keep my lips moist. Their formula is based with different butters and oils to help rehydrate and lock in moisture. Then they create unique flavors you could probably never imagine! And their prices are so reasonable, it gives you a chance to get a few to try. Oh, and if that’s not enough… rubbing a little bit on your finger to moisten that sore, flaky nose helps big time too… with no burning! It doesn’t matter how sick you are, we all know we are a sucker for an ice cold chocolate soda whenever possible. Okay, well I am. Even if my stomach is flippy, a little bit of chocolate that I can at least smell can bring a smile to even a sick girl’s face! ForGoodnessGrape.com, $4.00
The cold and flu season is not fun for anyone. We can follow the doctor’s orders, take our meds, get a lot of rest, and drink endless fluids. Although these things might be good to feel better faster, it’s hard not to get bored in the process. Getting ideas from magazines for the new season is always a good call. Trying new makeup styles can be fun too. Just remember to keep the germs away and you will be back into fashionista mode in no time!